GDPR Declaration !!

I am not collecting any personal information of any reader of or visitor to this blog. I am using Blogger, provided by Google to host this blog. I understand that Google is using cookies to collect personal information for its Analytics and Adsense applications.

Tuesday, December 11, 2018

#Sangam18 Day Two: Experiences,Observations, Learnings and Photos

Sangam2018, the annual conference of All India Oracle Applications User Group (AIOUG) was held at Hotel Oterra, Electronic City, Bangalore on the 7th and 8th of December, 2018.

I attended  both the days. Here are my observations from Day Two of Sangam 2018.



This was the day 2 of Sangam. In the morning, as I got up, I was very flustered. I wanted to do everything very fast and reach Sangam Venue at 8.00 A.M. I woke up at 5.30 A.M, finished the initial work and rushed to the community hall to do the Soham Meditation and Varna Pranayama.


At the meditation room, my eyes opened as it were.

I realized that there was no need for me to rush and I had to cool down and take things slow. What would I achieve if I reach there at 8.00 instead of at 9.00 when the knowledge sessions were really starting? Other than getting the ‘early bird’ recognition, what else will I achieve?

I am wired to rush. If I have to be at some place at 8.00 A.M, I start worrying from the previous night, as I did in this case. I decided that I was going to calm down and do the meditation.

And I did awesome. I was really into Soham meditation and Varna pranayama. I felt very calm and happy after doing the meditation. After that I went to my Guruji's place and did the inversion therapy for my back pain. It was strenuous but very satisfactory.

After that  I went to Sangam. I reached there at 9.00 A.M.

These were the sessions that I attended on Day 2.

Power of EBS Mobile Application on Oracle Cloud: Nirmal Kumar Natarajan
This was a very good session with very good content. Natarajan is very knowledgeable and knows to


give the right example when responding to a question. The presentation was strong in content. However, like many Indian presentations, it was very monotonous and ordinary. With this content a presenter from US would have had the crowd 'Ooh'ing and 'Aah'ing and clapping vigorously. With his content creation skills, Natarajan, if he improves his presentation skills, can be a gem of a speaker.

Should I move to Cloud SAAS Applications?: Debra Lilley
This presentation from Debra Lilley was very well structured and she took the audience through the decision making process of moving from On premise to Cloud. The slide quality was poor though.

Business Transformation using Oracle Cloud Applications: Lalkrishna Rath
Excellent content again marred by poor slide quality and flat and monotonous delivery. Rath's knowledge was clearly visible in the presentation that he made. He took the audience through a case study of a Cloud Implementation and expressed the challenges and the best approach. He is from Tech Mahindra and spoke of an innovation from TM where they have integrated Alexa with EBS. This acts as an extended secretary to the CEO when he has to get the latest numbers during a conference call. That was impressive.

SRM GST Implementation Journey: A N Srinivasan
I was very keen on this session since I wanted to understand the GST adoption process better. But this

presentation was not great. There were too many interruptions and everyone in the audience wanted to talk about their pain points. After some time Srinivasan just gave up. The impression that I got was that GST had significantly impacted Oracle Customers and things are not stable even now. I remembered the GST Implementation that I had done in another application and how quickly it had stabilized. It was surprising to me that GST is yet to be stable in Oracle Apps even today. Customers are using custom reports and external applications to handle GST. This is what happens when major tax changes are introduced ham handedly and haphazardly.

Cold Chain Solution enabled by Oracle IoT and Blockchain: Kameswara Rao Kesavarapu
Here the presenter gave a case study of implementing IoT for a cold chain company. The adoption of IoT in an industry goes through four stages. Sensing, Communication, Analysis and Action. I asked a question as to how does IoT handle sensors having different standards. The answer was that in their implementation, they took the input into IoT from EBS data and not from the Sensors. I think that to that extent, IoT will not give many benefits. EBS does not capture many of the sensory data from Production.

Oracle Analytics on Cloud: Joseph Kuttikat
This was a very good session. Joseph is very knowledgeable and the Aanlytics product is very feature
rich. The features in the product are very impressive with inbuilt AI and Machine Learning embedded in the product. Like any analytics application, finding good consultants to implement it will be the challenge.

Introduction to Enterprise Blockchain with Hyper-Ledger Fabric: Ketan Parmar
This was a very good session. Though it was more technical in nature, Ketan Parmar, with his deep

knowledge in the concepts and passion for the subject made the session very interesting. As per him trust and centralized storage are the two challenges that block chain tries to resolve. There are two types of Block chains, public, like Bitcoin or Ethereum and private, which is a blockchain setup by a few business partners. I will have more to say after I review the slides.

The closure session was very interesting. There were awards galore. I got the award for the third highest number of tweets by a participant. They gave me a Canon Camera.

It was 7.30 PM when it ended. Like it started, it ended very professionally by thanking the hotel staff as well as the volunteers. These Volunteers? They did an amazing work. Hats off to them.

Like all good things, this also had to end. I enjoyed it, made new friends and learned a lot. What more can you ask for for a measly investment of 5500 rupees?

I came back at about 9.00 PM, having spent a memorable day at a memorable event.

No comments: